Investing in Healthy Workplaces through the implementation of effective workplace wellness programmes can increase overall productivity and profits by reducing absenteeism, presenteeism, and worker turnover.
Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs) account for 7 out of every 10 deaths in the Caribbean; 40% of which occur prematurely within the most productive years.
This virtual knowledge hub will document and share established and emerging good practices in workplace wellness across the Caribbean. This best practices portal will provide a platform for showcasing private sector action in NCD inward (workplace wellness/ healthy workforces) and outward (supporting NCD prevention and control through core business products and services) facing programmes.
A good healthy workplace initiative or formal programme creates an environment which supports healthy behaviours in the workplace and ultimately improves health outcomes of workers and by extension their families.
16 key elements (and their components) contribute to a successful healthy workplace initiative/workplace wellness programme.
- Occupational Safety and Health
- Tobacco Use Cessation
- Healthy eating
- Breastfeeding Support
- Physical Activity Enhancement
- Mental Health and Stress management
- Alcohol Reduction
- Disability in the Workplace
- Return to Work for People Living with NCDs
- Work-life Balance
- Screening and Treatment for NCDs
- NCD prevention Information, Education and Resources
- Healthy Living rewards or incentives
- Multisectoral Partnerships
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Community Volunteerism
This Healthy Workplaces knowledge hub builds on the HCC/PAHO/COMSEC situational analysis of the private sector response to NCDs in the Caribbean conducted in 2015.