The second Global NCD Alliance Forum took place 9th-11th December, 2017, in Sharjah, UAE. It provided a prime opportunity to unite and mobilise NCD civil society ahead of the 2018 UN High-level Meeting on NCDs.
It was timed to allow for strategic priority setting and advocacy planning for the 2018 UN HLM on NCDs.
The forum brought together representatives from NCD civil society from across the world, building links with multilaterals, international NGOs, select government representatives and NCD experts.
Sir Trevor called for a
Grand NCD March of Indignation and Hope at the UNHLM 2018
The Caribbean region was well represented.
The HCC won an award for excellence in civil society action, the Sharjah Awards in Excellence in Non-communicable Diseases were presented to the NCD alliances with initiatives featured in the NCD Alliance NCD Atlas, which documents 38 case studies and programmes collected from national and regional NCD alliances around the world. The categories are awareness, accountability, advocacy and access. Read more
It was an interactive forum, providing a safe space for knowledge exchange, sharing good practice, and capacity building for NCD advocacy.
The full programme is available here.
The regular updates were shared through Twitter, the official Forum hashtag was #NCDAF2017, it included the sharing of highlights, links to newly launched resources, information about speakers, updates, recaps from each day, photos and live coverage.
Read more on the NCD Alliance website here and
- Pre-Forum Workshop
- Day 1 Recap
- Day 2 Recap
- Civil society calls for urgent and sustained leadership and action on NCDs at the 2018 UN High-level Meeting and beyond
- NCD Community: be informed, inspired, incentivised, indignant, & incensed
- Putting a voice to NCDs while breaking out of silo
- Youth key in combat against NCDs
- Consensus building around 2018 HLM on NCDs advocacy priorities
- Tales from a desert city: the Global NCD Alliance Forum 2017