Civil Society Led Tobacco Control Advocacy in the Caribbean: Experiences from The Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control
This report documents best practices of the Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control (JCTC) and other Caribbean CSOs in the implementation of tobacco control measures within the region. The report explores examples of effective advocacy strategies that have withstood the constant pressure of the tobacco industry and have created stepping stones for action in countries where there is a lack of political will. Successes recorded here are in countries where governments displayed strong political will for tobacco control and which collaborated with key stakeholders, including CSOs, to achieve FCTC objectives.
Finally, the report outlines a ‘road map’ for advocacy and action in tobacco control and shares lessons learned and strategies needed to implement key articles of the FCTC.
The specific objectives of the report are to:
- Review the landscape of tobacco control in the Caribbean, including declarations on health, tobacco control
- nitiatives, tobacco control legislation, and FCTC implementation;
- Document civil society-led and/or -supported tobacco control advocacy in the Caribbean;
- Document Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control-led and/or -supporhttp://www.healthycaribbean.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Civil-Society-Led-Tobacco-Control-Advocacy-in-the-Caribbean-Dec-2016.pdfted tobacco control advocacy in Jamaica;
- Discuss tobacco industry interference as a major impediment to successful tobacco control programmes;
- Share best practices from across the Caribbean, including those related to policy advocacy, using a case study approach to highlight challenges, successes, and lessons learned; and
- Provide ‘advocacy how to’ or ‘road map’ to guide civil society organisations in a stepwise manner to support the enactment and implementation of tobacco control legislation aligned with the FCTC.
Read/Download the full report here.
Framework Convention Alliance (FCA) Promotes JCTC/HCC Tobacco Advocacy Guidance for Civil Society in the Caribbean
In an article entitled ‘Civil society shaping tobacco control in the Caribbean’ The Framework Convention Alliance (FCA) recently featured the Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control (JCTC)/Healthy Caribbean Coalition (HCC ) ‘Civil Society Led Tobacco Control Advocacy in the Caribbean – The experiences of the Jamaica Coalition for Tobacco Control (JCTC)’ report on their website, praising the work of CSO’s in the Caribbean. Read more