3 Day Workshop on Alcohol, Tobacco and Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, on Tuesday May 16th, PAHO opened the three-day Caribbean Sub-regional Workshop on Alcohol, Tobacco and Sugar-Sweetened Beverages, bringing together health and finance officials from 17 countries and territories.The workshop, the first of its kind, took place in Barbados and brought together representatives from Ministries of Health, Finance, trade officials and academia to discuss the important issues surrounding taxes on tobacco, alcoholic and sweetened beverages. HCC President Professor Sir Trevor Hassell, and Executive Director Maisha Hutton attended the workshop.
The first two days focused on the burden of NCDs and the mandates for tackling NCDs in the Caribbean. The specific objectives of the workshop:
- Present the global, regional, and national evidence on the cost-effectiveness of alcohol, tobacco and sugar-sweetened beverages taxation to reduce their consumption as well as highlight country experiences from within the Caribbean.
- Complete and validate the collection of legislation on taxes and data on prices for alcohol, tobacco and sugar-sweetened beverages in the Caribbean.
- Offer a forum for Caribbean countries to present their experiences.
- Identify technical assistance, evidence needs and opportunities to advance in implementing taxes on alcohol, tobacco and sugar sweetened beverages in the Caribbean.
Read the workshop concept note and agenda here.
Read/Download the Workshop Report here.
Day three was a Caribbean Seminar on Tobacco and Trade, read the concept note and agenda here.
Additional press coverage of the workshop:
- PAHO/WHO Media Centre: PAHO Encourages Caribbean Countries to Tax Tobacco, Alcohol and Sugar-Sweetened Beverages to Reduce Burden of Noncommunicable Disease
- Jamaica Observer: PAHO urges C’bean countries to tax tobacco, alcohol and sugar-sweetened beverages
- St. Lucia Times: Health Experts Call for Higher Taxes on Tobacco, Alcohol and Sweet Drinks
- Barbados Advocate: Taxation an Effective Option Says PAHO/WHO Officials
- WIC NEWS: PAHO: Caribbean should tax tobacco, alcohol and sugary drinks
- Subregional Seminar on Tobacco and Trade
- Tax as Tool to help Reduce Burden of Noncommunicable Disease
HCC/NCD Alliance Policy Brief: A Closer Look: The Implementation of Taxation on Sugar-Sweetened Beverages by the Government of Barbados read/download.
Sugar in the Caribbean Infographics read/download.
More images from the 3 day seminar below.