HCC Youth Advocates Krystal Boyea and Pierre Cooke Jnr. travelled to Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (UAE) where they joined youth advocates from across the world for a Global NCD Forum On Children And Youth, the event took place March 25-26th, 2019 and was organised by NCD Child and hosted by Friends of Cancer Patients UAE.
The theme for the forum was Beyond SDG 3.4: Developing a Family-Centered, National Health Agenda. Youth NCD advocates from across the globe met to develop skills to establish a family-centered, community-based approach to NCDs, affecting young people, participated in interactive sessions and aimed to strengthen the impact of young leaders as NCDs advocates.
The first Global Non-communicable Diseases, NCDs, for Children and Youth Forum concluded with the Friends of Cancer Patients, announcing the Sharjah Declaration on the Global NCDs for Children and Youth Forum.
- Recognition of the deep lasting impact of NCDs on family health and well-being;
- Acknowledgment of the positive change that starts with care for families and communities that extends to the health centres;
- Recognition of young leaders as essential partners for the prevention and control of NCDs and ensuring their participation in the global NCD advocacy and policy campaigns, consultations and coalitions;
- Innovation and promotion of proven evidence-based developments to address all NCDs including childhood cancers, palliative care and pain relief, and vaccines capable of preventing cancer;
- Commitment to the life course approach to NCDs and the organization of life-long primary care for NCDs through universal health coverage;
- The active promotion of family health literacy to improve understanding about NCDs prevention and control taking into consideration cultural and social contexts;
- The empowerment of all including children with Non-Communicable Diseases to share their health stories and lived experiences, to strengthen advocacy and to guide stakeholders for lasting improvements in family health and well-being.
The declaration will be disseminated to various government entities and ministries for effective legislative changes and have a positive impact on policy decisions.
Here are some more images from the forum.
- Gulf Today: Sharjah Declaration on NCDs for Children passed
- Emirates News Agency: ‘Sharjah Declaration on Global NCDs for Children and Youth Forum’ poised to drive concerted Global Action
- Gulf Today: A healthy lifestyle begins with family, says expert
- Gulf News: Obesity, diabetes, cancer are top non-communicable diseases among kids in UAE